Union School Bell
The student population in Royal Oak’s district schools had increased to one-hundred fifty pupils which necessitated the building of a larger school.
In September, 1902, the new school was opened for session. It was named the Union School because it housed all grades from elementary to high school. It was located on the southeast corner of Washington and Lincoln streets where a parking structure now stands.
In 1910, the school was enlarged. It was constructed of red brick and was two stories in height. The first and second floors contained nine rooms. The three rooms on the upper floor were devoted to the eight grade through high school.
The bell also served Washington Elementary when it replaced the Union School in 1924. Washington Elementary was closed and demolished in 1975.